[Gluster-devel] Self-heal with partial files

From: Kevan Benson
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Self-heal with partial files
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:35:09 -0700

Is self heal supposed to work with partial files? I have an issue where self-heal isn't happening on some servers with AFR and unify in a HA setup I developed. Two servers, two clients, all AFR and unify done on client side.

If I kill a connection while a large file is being written, the glusterfs mount waits the appropriate timeout period (10 seconds in my case) and then finishes writing the file to the still active server. This results in a full file on one server and a partial file on the other (the one I stopped traffic to temporarily to simulate a crash/network problem). If I then enable the disabled server and read data from the problematic file, it doesn't self-heal itself and move the full file to the server with the partial file.

Anything written entirely while a server is offline (i.e. the offline server has no knowledge of it) is correctly created on read from the file, so the problem seems to be related to files that are partially written to one server.

Can someone comment on the particular conditions that cause a self heal? Is there something I can do to force it to self heal at this point (I repeat that reading data from the file does not work). I know I can use rsync and some foo to fix this, but that becomes less and less feasible as the mount size grows and the time for rsync to compare sides lengthens.