Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR documentation

From: Thierry EXCOFFIER
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR documentation
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:28:15 +0200

Krishna Srinivas wrote:
   - If the version numbers are identicals, do you detect that
     the file content is not the same ?

No. But we can have improve the safety level to handle such cases
by further checking if the copies differ by mtime (by more than 30 secs, say)
or if they have different file sizes etc in which case we can return EIO.
Again suggestions are welcome.

Can you store the IP of the last client who have modified the file ?
If the version is the same but not the client IP then the file
content is in an inpredictable state.

May be you could assume that if the file is wrote by more than one
client then the *user application* has locked the file before.
In this case you need an option to indicate to AFR that
the file locking succeed only if all the clients are up.

Hope my 2 cents may help.

Thierry.
--
Thierry.EXCOFFIER@@liris.univ-lyon1.fr//   GO: Oriental Strategy Game
LIRIS/UFR Informatique, bat710       //DYLAN: Programming Language