Re: [Gluster-devel] Strange inconsistencies (No such file or directory)

From: Kevan Benson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Strange inconsistencies (No such file or directory)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:42:36 -0700

Brian Taber wrote:
Any help here would be appreciated.  I am trying to use a glusterfs share
to run email (IMAP).  I am using postfix for the mail server and dovecot
for clients.  I have 2 server accessing the same share, 1 server has the
mail server with dovecot for regular mail clients.  Server 2 has dovecot
for webmail.  If an email arrives, server 1 prosses and writes it.  If
server 2 as client accesses it, it works ok.  If server 1 client tries to
access the ame message, it can not access it.  If I login to terminal, try
to ls or cat the file, I get "No such file or directory".  If I restart
the share by doing a umount then mount (share is setup in fstab), all of
the sudden I can access the file again no problem.

The standard questions here are:
1) What version of GlusterFS are you using?
2) What version of Fuse are you using?

From what I've seen on the list, most problems of thi ssort tend to be people using a stock fuse, not the GlusterFS supplied patched one in the downloads section of the site.

My specific question is: Why are you using Unify when it looks like there's only one data source (GlusterFS server)? Unify is only required when there's multiple GlusterFS servers that have partial file sets that need to be combined (that's the purpose of Unify). You might want to try stripping the performance translators and adding them back one by one until you find the problem. The simplest set that is functionally the same to what you posted before should be something like this:

Server:
volume mail
 type storage/posix
 option directory /data/mail
end-volume

volume posix-locks-mail
 type features/posix-locks
 option mandatory on
 subvolumes mail
end-volume

volume server
 type protocol/server
 subvolumes posix-locks-mail
 option transport-type tcp/server     # For TCP/IP transport
 option auth.ip.ns-mail.allow 192.168.*
 option auth.ip.ra-mail.allow 192.168.*
end-volume

Client config:
volume mail
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host 192.168.250.1
 option remote-subvolume posix-locks-mail
end-volume

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks