Re: Fwd: [Gluster-devel] proposals to afr

From: Kevan Benson
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Gluster-devel] proposals to afr
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:48:54 -0700

Alexey Filin wrote:
correctly, if afr xlator node doesn't crash during writing. If it crashes
the close() is not issued at all and version attribute is not updated
(according to your description). If children update version without
assistance as a workaround after afr xlator node crash, the new versions of
replicas are equal but data can be different (because operations are queued
in interconnect and issued sequentially as datagrams come out). Such a
situation can't occur if every operation is atomic relative to the version
attribute i.e. the attribute is updated instantly after every operation.

I'll be happy if don't know something what helps to handle the situation
correctly in current implementation.

Actually, I just thought of a major problem with this. I think the extended attributes need to be set as atomic operations. Imagine the case where two processes are writing the file at the same time, the op counters could get very messed up.

Another solution comes to mind. Just set another extended attribute denoting that the file is being written to currently (and unset it afterwards). If the AFR subvolume notices that the file islisted as being written to but no clients have it open (I hope this is easily determinable) a flag is returned for the file. If all subvolumes return this flag for the file in the AFR (and all the trusted_afr_versions are the same), choose one version of the file (for example from the first AFR subvolume) as the legit copy and copy it to the other AFR nodes. It doesn't matter which version is the most up to date, they will all be fairly close, and since this is from a failed write operation there was no guarantee the file was in a valid state after the write. it's doesn't matter which copy you get, as long as it's consistent across AFR members.

P.S.
For those still unsure what we are referring to, it's the case where a write to an AFR fails, so no AFR subvolume finishes and calls close(). In this case the trusted_afr_version hasn't been incremented, but the actual data in the files may not be consistent across AFR subvolumes. As I've seen in prior testing, subsequent operations on the file will happen independently on each subvolume, and the files may continue to stay out of sync. The data in the file may not be entirely trusted do to the failed write, but it should at least be consistent across AFR subvolumes. An AFR subvolume failure should not change what data is returned.

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks