Re: [Gluster-devel] performance improvements

From: Hans Einar Gautun
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] performance improvements
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:53:41 +0200

tir, 23,.10.2007 kl. 10.02 -0700, skrev Kevan Benson:
> Vincent Régnard wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are presently trying to tune our non-gluster configuration to
> > improve glusterfs performance. My config is gluster
> > 1.3.7/fuse2.7.0-glfs5, linux 2.6.16.55. We have 3 clients and 3
> > servers on a 100Mb network with 5ms round trip between clients and
> > servers. The 3 clients replicate with afr on client side over the 3
> > servers.

> > I can imagine that reducing the roundtrip between servers might help ?
> > But I cannot actually do anything for that. The only thing I might be
> > able to do is to configure some QOS. Have you any suggestion about how
> > we should do that ? Would giving priority to tcp/6996 between clients
> > and servers really help ?

Vincent:
It's a big roundtrip. I have 0.1 or less, but it's GB NIC's and switch.
But it's cheap this days.;)

> Separate network connections to each AFR subvoume.  VLAN your switches
> and implement separate logical networks for each connection to the AFR
> subvolumes using secondary (or even tertiary) nics in each client.  You
> can effectively double or triple your throughput while increasing
> redundancy.
Kevan:
Is this better than bonding - or equal?

Jumbo frames are also good for speed and lowering the server and switch
load.

--
Einar Gautun                     address@hidden

Statens kartverk            | Norwegian Mapping Authority
3507 Hønefoss               |    NO-3507 Hønefoss, Norway

Ph +47 32118372   Fax +47 32118101       Mob +47 92692662