[Gluster-devel] Performance scaling questions

From: Martin Hess
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Performance scaling questions
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:43:45 -0700

Hello brilliant Glustering people. :-) I'm new to all this so please forgive me if some of my questions seem naive.

We have an application that has 10 billion small (256-4096 byte) files. We do 10 reads for every write. We read and write each file in its entirety. Only 1% of the files are hot; i.e. being read and written in the same hour.

Some questions:

* Can I have 500 clients all mounting the file system simultaneously?
* Will my reads be primarily out of memory? Or am I going to be limited by spindles? How many bricks/ram will I need so that I'm mostly reading from memory? Is the cache write through or will a write require a disk access on the next read?