Re: [Gluster-devel] High availability

From: Kevan Benson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] High availability
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:09:55 -0700

If all your AFR ad Unify translators are defined on the server side, you have to have some form of failover on the client, such as a round-robin IP address between the servers, or heartbeat for a shared IP, etc.

If you put unify on the client side, or both unify and AFR on the client side, nothing else should be required. I would advise you to set the transport timeout to something smaller though,even if it's just for testing purposes and you set it higher again later. I find 10 seconds works fine for me.

CityToo - Benjamin Loire wrote:
OK => If I unplug ethernet eth0, /mnt/glusterfs is no responding until I plug
again the ethernet eth0

I didn't configure transport timeout and if don't plug again ethernet eth0,
/mnt/glusterfs is no responding ...What is the time-period before command
complete successfully because I have waiting about 30 secondes !
Have I to necessarily to configure transport timeout ?

When you say "But after that time-period command should complete successfully",
is condition to plug again ethernet eth0 ?

If you want say that command should complete successfully after a time-period slightly greater than transport timeout without to plug again ethernet eth0 (server), have I to use necessarily translator unify with "rr" in first before translator AFR, or is translator AFR alone does automatically high availability if one sublvolume is down ?
PS: I have only 2 nodes server for my test.
Should I have 3 nodes server to have high availability if I use AFR with option
replicate *:2 or should I have high availability too if I have 2 nodes server
with AFR with option replicate *:2 if I unplug ethernet eth0 server ?

Benjamin LOIRE