Re: [Gluster-devel] really interesting interconnect

From: nathan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] really interesting interconnect
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 21:34:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Christopher Hawkins wrote:

<cut>

                                                        But given the huge
price premium for IB networks, I would think that a GAMMA translator would
put GlusterFS way over the top as a price to performance leader in the super
storage market. We're talking about getting serious I/O out of plain old gig
ethernet! Opinions?

Well I guess I don't see why it is needed, I mean, infiniband does not cost much at all on the used market. I just bought 16 dual 10 gig cards for an avg cost of $83 including shipping from ebay and 25 port and 4 10 gig switches cost me $1350 each. I don't think that is a lot to pay get 8 servers with 2 switches in two pops. The only downside is that gluster is just not ready for production network, so I am now looking at lustre.

<>
Nathan Stratton                         CTO, 264 Networks, LLC
nathan at robotics.net                  nathan at 264networks.com
http://www.robotics.net                 http://www.264networks.com