RE: [Gluster-devel] really interesting interconnect

From: Christopher Hawkins
Subject: RE: [Gluster-devel] really interesting interconnect
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:54:53 -0400

Wow, I didn't know it was that inexpensive. I've looked before and I don't
recall ever seeing deals like that... Guess I need to look harder.  ;-)
However, I would still offer the following points:  Gig-e is *already* built
into every server. A low latency ethernet translator might be an elegant
software solution to what has always been a "hardware" problem. If you can
solve the problem in software instead of relying on specialized hardware,
shouldn't you?

Chris

<cut>

>                                                       But given the huge
> price premium for IB networks, I would think that a GAMMA translator
> would put GlusterFS way over the top as a price to performance leader
> in the super storage market. We're talking about getting serious I/O
> out of plain old gig ethernet! Opinions?

Well I guess I don't see why it is needed, I mean, infiniband does not cost
much at all on the used market. I just bought 16 dual 10 gig cards for an
avg cost of $83 including shipping from ebay and 25 port and 4 10 gig
switches cost me $1350 each. I don't think that is a lot to pay get 8
servers with 2 switches in two pops. The only downside is that gluster is
just not ready for production network, so I am now looking at lustre.

><>
Nathan Stratton                         CTO, 264 Networks, LLC
nathan at robotics.net                  nathan at 264networks.com
http://www.robotics.net                 http://www.264networks.com