Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: AFR load-balancing

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: AFR load-balancing
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:05:21 +0530

> Have you tried chaining AFR volumes?  There's quite a few ways I can
> imagine reducing line saturation if that's the problem.  Here's one:
>
> server1 has an afr of a local volume and a volume from server2
>
> server3 has an afr of a local volume and a volume from server4
>
> client afr of server1's afr and server2's afr
>
> This should allow a single write from a client at 1000/8/2 = 62.5
> MByte/s.  Client writes only twice (to server1 and server3) halving the
> bandwidth.  Server1 and server3 write only once each to server2 and
> server4 respectively and receive the writes from the client, halving
> their bandwidth.
>
> Note: I have no idea how well this will perform in reality.  There may
> be enough lag in glusterfs chaining writes that the gains aren't worth
> it, but I suspect since it is effectively pipelining the writes along
> there won't be too much lag.

Good thought kevan, it sounds like a good in-between solution.
Jerker, this might work even better for you if the server-server
interconnects are on a seperate physical media not cascaded with the
server-client interconnect.

avati

--
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account
Hofstadter's Law.

-- Hofstadter's Law