Re: [Gluster-devel] Scaled down a bit.

From: Chris Johnson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Scaled down a bit.
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:10:32 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:

     MRI imaging.  The real programs suck in between 5 and 8 MB worth
of image, crunch them for what seems forever, and then write the
resulting image.  They do this for about 100 slices per scan.  We have a
300 node cluster that runs these things.  This means the local private
gigbit net they're on and the servers are periodically swamped to say
the least.  Not a lot of client rereading going on and I discovered
the caching on the server didn't really help yesterday.  I tried
readahead and that was statistically zero help, pages wre 2 and page
size was 128KB.  I tried a 512KB page size and for some reason made
matters worse apparently.

     Based on whats below I think io-threads might help in the
multi-node case.

     Any help appreciated.

io-thread on client side improves performance when multiple files are read/written simultaneously by multiple applications or a single muli-threaded application.

In terms of few ms difference between nfs and glusterfs, there are some
more performance optimizations possible. Booster will also help you.
We balance between elegance and performance. Our focus was on scalability and reliability so far. It made sense for us to take advantage of
modern technologies like Infiniband/10GigE RDMA, Clustered I/O, high
level performance modules to show several times more performance than
NFS instead of worrying about little issues. Avati is just testing new
patch that will put fuse on separate thread on client side. This will improve responsiveness :)

If you tell us more about your application environment, we can suggest
if there are ways to improve performance further.