[Gluster-devel] ECC translator

From: Csibra Gergo
Subject: [Gluster-devel] ECC translator
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 15:16:16 +0100

Hi,

My name is Gergo Csibra, and I live in Hungary.
I'm new to GlusterFS, but not new to Clustering/HPC and programming,
I'm in GUG project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gug)

So, I want to make an ECC translator, with this we can make a raid
like bricks. I think this very close to encryprion translators,
because this does the same thing:

reads data from client
manipulate this data
writes to subvolume

an reverse:

reads from subvolume
manipulate (really only checks, and maybe repair) readed data
sends to client.

I've looked the rot-13 translator, and after 2 days of
missconfiguration I can test it.

My questions:
The encryption translator reads and writes same amount of data, but I
must write more data to device (the original plus the ECC info), and
send less to the client (readed minus the ECC).

The other thing, if I make for example 4 ECC bytes to every 16 user
bytes, maybe I need to read data from before and after the original
buffer.

What functions must I use, to do this thing?
Is there some development documentation?

ps. sorry for my english :)

--
Best regards,
 Csibra Gergo                          mailto:address@hidden