Re: [Gluster-devel] Choice of Translator question

From: Gareth Bult
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Choice of Translator question
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:59:25 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Thanks for that, but I'm afraid I'd already read it ... :(

The fundamental problem I have is with the method apparently employed by
self-heal.

Here's what I'm thinking;

Take a 5G database sitting on an AFR with three copies.
Normal operation - three consistent replica's, no problem.

Issue # 1;
glusterfsd crashes (or is crashed) on one node.
That replica is immediately out of date as a result of continuous writes to the
DB.

Question # 1;
When glusterfsd is restarted on the crashed node, how does the system know that
node is out of date and should not be used for striped reads?

My assumption;
Because striped reads are per file and as a result, striping will not be
applied to the database, hence there will be no read advantage obtained by
putting the database on the filesystem .. ??

Question # 2;
Apart from closing the database and hence closing the file, how do we tell the
crashed node that it needs to re-mirror the file?

Question # 3;
Mirroring a 5G file will take "some time" and happens when you re-open the
file. While mirroring, the file is effectively locked.

Net effect;

a. To recover from a crash the DB needs a restart
b. On restart, the DB is down for the time taken to copy 5G between machines
(over a minute)

>From an operational point of view, this doesn't fly .. am I missing something?

Also, it appears that I need to restart glusterfsd when I change the
configuration files (i.e. to re-read them) which effectively crashes the node
.. is there a way to re-read a config without crashing the node?
(on the assumption that as above, crashing a node is effectively "very"
expensive...?)

Any help / advice would be much appreciated ..

Thanks,
Gareth.