[Gluster-devel] memory leak with 2.5--patch-628

From: Sascha Ottolski
Subject: [Gluster-devel] memory leak with 2.5--patch-628
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:02:48 +0100

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone may have a hint how to track down a memory leak in
glusterfs client. The leak is easily reproduced (at least here :-)) by
sending a "rsync -avP" or "find -exec head -c1" over the mountpoint, that
carries millions of files. The leak happens while the rsync scans the
directory, before transferring any files.

I didn't collect any hard numbers up to now, but I've seen glusterfs proc
growing to about 3.5 GB after scanning 5 mio. or so files. The size of the
process never seems to shrink, and I believe that it's not growing while
tranferring data (I have a bonnie running for a while now, which doesn't seem
to add to the process size).

I've seen a similar memory consumption in 1.3.0-pre4, 1.3.7 and even with the
latest tla checkout, the latter accompanied with fuse-1.7.0-glf7, on a debian
4.0, on amd64 hardware.

It appears as if switching on or off read-ahead/write-behind doesn't make much
of a difference when it comes to the leaking, but I certainly need to check
that more thoroughly. Other translators in the picture are afr and unify.

And of course I'm very much wondering if other people can reproduce this
phenomenon...

Thanks,

Sascha