Re: [Gluster-devel] Confused on AFR, where does it happen client or serv

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Confused on AFR, where does it happen client or server
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:20:24 +0530

> Haha wow should I feel pretty stupid for not totally understanding that?
> =P

I'm sure it was me who explained it bad. Let me try to explain it in simpler
terms. Suppose you have 3 servers, but you want only 2 copies of all files,
the proposed configuration goes like this:

three servers: server1, server2, server3

each server exports two volumes: vol-a, vol-b

six available volumes: server1-vol-a, server1-vol-b, server2-vol-a,
server2-vol-b, server3-vol-a, server3-vol-b.

create 3 AFRs each having two subvolumes:

afr1: server1-vol-a + server2-vol-b
afr2: server2-vol-a + server3-vol-b
afr3: server3-vol-a + server1-vol-b

now unify the three afr's. this gives even distribution of files across
three servers with 2 copies of each file.

avati

Is there a mac version of GlusterFS with a pretty GUI?

actually a GUI (like viewing the volumes in a tree-like a graph) is planned
for development -- ideas and suggestions welcome, and a mac port sometime
down the line too.

avati

--
If I traveled to the end of the rainbow