Re: [Gluster-devel] Best filesystem for exported directory?

From: Hans Einar Gautun
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Best filesystem for exported directory?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:36:26 +0100

Rafael,
There is a couple of things to take into account. I've used xfs for a
while now, but xfs don't journal the file data, only metadata. If
something goes wrong before file close, i.e. glusterfs crashes, you have
a possibility of file corruption. ext3 in journal mode has journaling of
file data itself, making it more safe.

In fact I've had several issues with xfs in general, and I'm converting
to ext3 both on laptops and glusterfs. For speed the figures on 3ware
sata controllers, 100 files of 1MB size I have up to 790MB/s on xfs,
360MB/s on ext3 locally. On the other hand you sleep well.... Also it
looks as ext3 in journal mode gives better response in reading from the
disk while writing to the same disk, up to 10 times! better.

Regards,
Einar