Re:Re: [Gluster-devel] About gluster on 32 bits

From: Timothy Russell
Subject: Re:Re: [Gluster-devel] About gluster on 32 bits
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:31:14 -0600 (CST)

This is in response to a message posted in your archives as:
{
From:   Bala.A
Subject:        Re: [Gluster-devel] About gluster on 32 bits
Date:   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:15:46 -0700 (PDT)

// message omitted
}

I am putting together a 32-bit cluster and have had some difficulty in
compiling the iso from the source. I first note (for your reference) that two
of the commands listed in the message are incorrect (as I found out after a
little frustration). The command given as:

$ export $PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/gluster-toolchain-on32-32-64/bin

needs to have the '$' character omitted from the first $PATH, otherwise errors
abound (I am using Debian, so if this is a distribution-specific problem,
please forgive; I didn't test elsewhere). Also,

wget -Ptarballs -nH http://ftp.zresearch.com/pub/gluster/external/*

doesn't work, because wget won't parse wildcards (same caveat).  Now to the
meat of my quandry.  Small problems aside, I worked my way down to the step
where make is invoked, but the buck stops there.  Every time I run make, it
runs for 1-2 hours, at which time it will die, complaining that it couldn't
find some file in the /tarballs directory.  A wget is invoked within make, and
it tries to download from
http://ftp.zresearch.com/pub/gluster/external/(missing-file.tar.gz), an effort
which fails every time.  The missing file is always one that is already on the
server (and hence in my /tarballs directory), but with a different version
number.  I have gone through about 5 or 6 rounds of this, and at ~2
hours/attempt it is becoming more than a little troublesome.  I regret to say
that I haven't recorded and don't remember the files which have caused this
behavior, but I have soldiered on and found and downloaded each one in
succession (from various and sundry sites, since they are not on your server).
I have finally run into a problem which I cannot surmount, however, with
iputils.  The version on your server is iputils_20020927.tar.gz, but make
chokes looking for iputils_20070202.tar.gz.  I have found copies of this file
in a very few different sources, but every time I download this file, there is
some error (the tarball is corrupted or it's missing files when it unpacks,
etc.).  Can you please tell me how to fix this problem, or--even better--how to
get make to want only the versions of the files you have posted.  Thank you for
your time and assistance.

Tim Russell
Eastern Illinois University