Re: [Gluster-devel] webservers vs. glusterfs vs. namespace

From: Angel
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] webservers vs. glusterfs vs. namespace
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:39:38 +0100

find /glustefs/mntpnt/* -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -l100 -n100 -P N md5sum

how the sistem performs as N increases?
Is this test as slow as apache2 access?

from: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html
you can read that

Memory-mapping

In situations where Apache 2.x needs to look at the contents of a file being
delivered--for example, when doing server-side-include
processing--it normally memory-maps the file if the OS supports some form of
mmap(2).

On some platforms, this memory-mapping improves performance.
However, there are cases where memory-mapping can hurt the performance or even
the stability of the httpd:

On some operating systems, mmap does not scale as well as read(2) when the
number of CPUs increases. On multiprocessor Solaris
servers, for example, Apache 2.x sometimes delivers server-parsed files faster
when mmap is disabled.
If you memory-map a file located on an NFS-mounted filesystem and a process on
another NFS client machine deletes or truncates the
file, your process may get a bus error the next time it tries to access the
mapped file content.

For installations where either of these factors applies, you should use
EnableMMAP off to disable the memory-mapping of delivered files.
(Note: This directive can be overridden on a per-directory basis.)

Can you rey EnableMMAP off?

¿Is mmaping the problem?