[Gluster-devel] general questions

From: Corin Langosch
Subject: [Gluster-devel] general questions
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:52:34 +0100

Hi!

I'm pretty new to clustered storage but I really need it due to high availabilty, amount of space needed and performance reasons for my disk-less clients.

As for now I have a big server running a RAID5 exported as a block device using iSCSI. I use ocfs2 to mount the device on the clients. So far it works, but I'm not happy with it as I still have a single point of failure, only all my clients can run without a disk and access the same data. Using nfs is not an option as it's way to slow.

I just played a little with glusterfs (1.3.7) and I'm simply amazed by it's easy of use. As this filesystem seems pretty new (didn't find a history on the site when it started, but found only very little information in wikipedia, google, no official debian packages, etc..) I wonder if it's ready to be used in production environments.

My goal is to have 2-3 big storage servers for now. The storage of these servers should exported unified with automatic replication. Currently I have 25 clients, but I'll need to increase to 100-200 clients soon. The clients to not generate a lof of traffic, so 2-3 servers should be ok for now.

The my remaining questions are:
- is glusterfs the right choice for me? (if not, what is? *g*)
- is the current code (1.3.7) stable enough? no dataloss expected?
- if data is stored on all three nodes using automatic replication, can I simply drop a server if it's damaged, replace the disk etc., put it back online and it'll automatically be reused?

Corin