Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: High CPU usage -- any way to reduce cpu load?

From: Vikas Gorur
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: High CPU usage -- any way to reduce cpu load?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 00:57:00 +0530

Excerpts from billy cokalopolous's message of Sat Mar 01 02:16:24 +0530 2008:
> Thanks for the response Hannes. The db will be read only.
>
> Still looking for a response as to why cpu is so high when computations are
> performed on the fs. Even when single node where traffic is sent back via
> loopback. Can anyone answer this? Provide a solution to excessively high cpu
> usage? Will have to try lustre next, but would prefer to stick with gluster
> if this problem can be solved.

I tried your setup (local client/server, 5 concurrent md5sum on a 300MB file)
but
unfortunately could not reproduce the issue. On my machine GlusterFS CPU usage
never goes above 10%.

I think the best way for you to diagnose this is to use the wonderful
system-wide profiling tool oprofile.

http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/

Feel free to contact us for any further help. You can also reach us on
IRC (#gluster on irc.freenode.net).

Vikas

--
http://vikas.80x25.org/