Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR write completion? AFR read redundancy?

From: Martin Fick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR write completion? AFR read redundancy?
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 08:48:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Anand Avati <address@hidden> wrote:

> > First, I am curious as to the write semantics,
> > when does AFR report a write complete?  Does a
> > write have to make it to all of the subvolumes
> > or just one before it claims a write complete?
>
> AFR waits for completion (either success or failure)
> from all subvolumes before returning.

Cool. In the case of mixed results (some success, some
failures), what is the result?  Anyway to distinguish
this from a complete success?

> If you need one of your subvolumes to be written in
> background, you need to load write-behind in that
> path.

Makes sense.

> > Also, what about reads, does it only read from one
> > subvolume?  Is there any way to make it read from
> > all subvolumes to check/correct for errors?
>
> it does a read load balancing per file. it does not
> check/correct errors.

Any plans for such a feature?  HA is great, but so is
error resilience/correction. :)

Thanks for the quick responses!

-Martin

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs