[Gluster-devel] Two AFR translators accessing the same subvolumes?

From: Martin Fick
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Two AFR translators accessing the same subvolumes?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:22:12 -0800 (PST)

Is it supposed to be OK to access the same subvolumes
from two different AFR translators?

    AFR1
   /    \
   |    |
   A    B
   |    |
   \    /
    AFR2

I set this up locally so that A & B are local
subvolumes to one server and AFR1 and AFR2 run on the
same server and are "exported", and I mount AFR1 and
AFR2 on two different mount points (also actually on
the same machine).

When I test this setup, I see weird behavior if I
rename a directory on the mount point for AFR1 and ls
it on the mount point for AFR2:  the directory is
renamed, but the attributes seem all messed up.  An ls
yields:

?--------- ? ?    ?        ?            ?
openid.safr2/games

Is this a bug, or should I just never try this? ;)

I can understand if this just shouldn't be done, but
it seems like this AFR wiki page suggests that a
similar idea should be workable:

http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_1.3_High_Availability_Storage_with_GlusterFS

The scenario on that page is much more complex and
involves multiple hosts, but I think that essentially
the same thing should happen?

Thanks for any insights,

-Martin

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs