Re: [Gluster-devel] how best to set up for performance?

From: Niall Dalton
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] how best to set up for performance?
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:07:10 -0400

On Mar 16, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Anand Avati wrote:
 You might want to try specifying

'option window-size 2097152' in all your protocol (client and server) volumes.

Also, you might also want read-ahead on the server (over iothreads) with the same page-size as the client, but higher page-count.

Thanks for all the help. I turned on the window-size option but specifying in the client volumes slowed things right down. Setting it only in the servers showed a speedup.

I also discovered that in striped mode I was basically running at exactly the same speed as distinct gluster fs volumes on each storage server. So, splitting things into 2 mount points on my client, each against one of the servers, doubled my aggregate performance to around ~650MB/s. I estimate I should be able to double performance again if I could figure out how these various settings are all interacting.

Any other suggestions appreciated - or if someone from zresearch would like to log in and take a look I'd be delighted to set that up.

niall

server-jr1
------------
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /big
end-volume

volume brick
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 8
  option cache-size 12288MB
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume readahead-brick
  type performance/read-ahead
  option page-size 1M
  option page-count 512
  subvolumes brick
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  subvolumes brick
  option transport-type tcp/server     # For TCP/IP transport
  option auth.ip.brick.allow *
  subvolumes readahead-brick
  option window-size 2097152
end-volume

server-jr2
------------
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /big
end-volume

volume brick
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 8
  option cache-size 12288MB
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume readahead-brick
  type performance/read-ahead
  option page-size 1MB
  option page-count 512
  subvolumes brick
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  subvolumes brick
  option transport-type tcp/server     # For TCP/IP transport
  option auth.ip.brick.allow *
  option window-size 2097152
  subvolumes readahead-brick
end-volume