Re: [Gluster-devel] Hammering start() calls

From: Hannes Dorbath
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Hammering start() calls
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 15:05:15 +0200

Anand Avati wrote:
-a and -e helps only for the 2nd stat and beyond. are the 10000 stat() calls
being performed on 10000 different files? what are the total number of files
and are they re-stat()ed? how many mount points and threads per moutn point?

Sorry for the late reply.

The workload is a cluster of web servers with PHP serving from a single glusterfs mount point. All web servers mount the same single share from a file server connected via GE.

The web servers use internal stat caches, so when serving static files the performance is perfect.

The problem is PHP hammering stat() for each file that gets included or searched in include paths. PHP is always asking for the same set of about 100 files or so.

I hoped that iocache would solve that, but I can push only 1/15 of requests, compared to when serving directly from the backend file system.

File are like 1KB each.

Would booster help me? Is it fuse causing the latency?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath