RE: [Gluster-devel] problem when client goes down

From: Antonio González
Subject: RE: [Gluster-devel] problem when client goes down
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:18:27 +0200

Hello,

This issue is similar to the issue comments in the GlusterFS list
“[Gluster-devel] Timeout settings and self-healing? (WAS: HA failover test
unsuccessful (inaccessible mountpoint))”

I have  already probed the “option transport-timeout 20” . The result are
the same, the first “ls” of the other clients takes 30 seconds, others “ls”
takes a variable time. Even times the file system is blocked during a large
time 3 or 4 minutes.

I have made the test with a simple schema with the same results. 2 servers
(one export a brick for storage and a brick for namespace and the other
server exports a brick for storage). At the client side is defined the unify
translator (without replication). The test is to upload a large file (3.5
GB) to the GlusterFS and then unplugged the network cable of the client who
uploads the file.

The client (upload) log says:

            C [tcp.c:87:tcp_disconnect] brick1: connection disconnected

E [unify.c:325:unify_lookup] unify: returning ESTALE for /(17314670376)
[translator generation (0) inode generation (3)]

E [fuse-bridge.c:459:fuse_entry_cbk] glusterfs-fuse: 111: (34) / => -1 (116)

E [unify.c:325:unify_lookup] unify: returning ESTALE for /(17314670376)
[translator generation (0) inode generation (3)]

The client log (other client, ls) says:

            E [client-protocol.c:4520:client_getspec_cbk] trans: no proper
reply from server, returning ENTCONN

            E [client-protocol-c:4809:client_protocol_cleanup] trnas torced
unwinding frame type(2) op(4) address@hidden

The server log says:

            E [protocol.c:271:gf_block_unserialize_tranposrt] server: EOF
from peer (10.1.0.45:1023)

            C [tcp.c:87:tcp_disconnect] server: connection]

The version of GlusterFS is 1.3.8pre5.

The version of fuse is 2.7.2glfs9

The next test will be with and older version, p.e. glusterfs 1.3.7. do you
think that this test is necessary ??

Thanks for the reply.

Antonio González
Analista I+D