Re: [Gluster-devel] Diskless booting to glusterfs

From: gordan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Diskless booting to glusterfs
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:33:20 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Mickey Mazarick wrote:

We've had some success booting to gluster on a diskless server. The process may be hard to make generic but currently we have it working over bonded NICs or bonded infiniband ports. It does result in a very bloated 8 meg initrd and chrooting to a gluster mount. We started with the DRBL setup which is a great launching off point. It is the easiest way of building a custom initrd.

The our scripts are system dependent but the files in the initrd are listed below.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a more complete howto and I'll see if I can paste the important part of our scripts to the group. For now I think if anyone wants this kind of setup you will need to customize your own initrd and init script for a specific cluster.

That would be interesting to see, since I'm planning to add GlusterFS support to the Open Shared Root project.

Gordan