Re: [Gluster-devel] Splitbrain Resolution

From: gordan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Splitbrain Resolution
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:39:42 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Joey Novak wrote:

>   As for AFR, the client takes care of the work.
servers are essentially just network
accessible file systems, that aren't aware of each other, and thus, don't replicate between each others at all.

So for n mirrored servers, the client bandwidth increases n-fold? That's quite shocking...

  SplitBrain...  While it is possible for this to happen, Gluster is not
designed like Coda
for offline operation.  If a client can't hit a server, it is unlikely another
client can hit
it, and thus create a splitbrain scenario...  But to answer your question, I
don't think
there is any conflict resolution method.

OK, say I have 2 nodes. The switch fails, but they are both using their own "mirrored" copy to mount the FS. The switch gets fixed. There are now two separate copied of the data. What happens?

Alternatively, one node gets shut down. When it comes back up, how does GlusterFS tell which is the one that's out of date?

  Fencing and Quorum...  I don't think you will find those terms anywhere in the
documentation.

I didn't - hence why I was asking.

  Metadata change detection...  That is a good question, I hope someone
provides a good
explanation.

Me too. :-)

Gordan