Re: [Gluster-devel] Server-side AFR

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Server-side AFR
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:10:25 +0100

Krishna Srinivas wrote:
You can check the foll wiki:
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_1.3_High_Availability_Storage_with_GlusterFS

Though it is not entirely correct (unify does not serve any purpose in that
example) you will get an idea on how to use AFR on the server side.
Check how "mailspool-ds-afr" is defined.

You can mail back if it still confusing.

I got it working, thanks. :)

Now I seem to be getting the same problem that Guido Smit described in another thread. When one node gets shut down, trying to access the mount point on the other node blocks, seemingly indefinitely.
killall glusterds; killall glusterfsd;
and restarting seems to clear the problem, even though the other node is still gone.

Another question - if I want to "move" a volume to GlusterFS, do I have to copy files to the GlusterFS mountpoint? Or can I just export the already populated file system as the source directory of the posix storage block?

e.g. if I want to migrade /home to be GlusterFS exported, can I do just do something like:
cd /
mv home gluster
mkdir home
glusterfs -f /etc/glusterfs-client.vol /home

provided that glusterfs-client is using /gluster as the data source? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Or do I really have to copy all the content to the mounted GlusterFS the long way?

Thanks.

Gordan