Re: [Gluster-devel] Replication Initialization from Existing Directory

From: Krishna Srinivas
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Replication Initialization from Existing Directory
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:51:34 +0530

>  I was thinking more along the lines of the case I was testing:
>  node1 is the one with source files to be replicated:
>  node1:/gluster-store, trusted.glusterfs.version=3
>  node1:/gluster-store/*, trusted.glusterfs.version=3
>
>  node2 is empty, but it's store was used before:
>  node2:/gluster-store, trusted.glusterfs.version=18
>
>  Would this cause node2 to sync node1 by getting all the files on node1
> purged?
>
>  Or would it merely cause node2 to not get any files sent to it (neither
> metadata for ls, nor (implicitly from lack of metadata) the files
> themselves)?

If trusted.glusterfs.createtime is same for both directories, then
node2's directory will be the latest because of higher version,
hence all files from node1 will be erased.

>  In other words, is deletion replication implicit, or does it have to be
> explicit? i.e. if a file gets removed while a node is down, and that node
> rejoins, does the file get replicated back to the other nodes, or does the
> deletion get replicated back? Or to put it another way, does the "latest
> wins" strategy apply in the same way to directories regarding content, or is
> there a special case for this to limit possible damage when there is node
> churn?

If a file was deleted when one of the node was down, when that downed node
is brought up, the file will be automatically deleted from that node whenever
a user "cd"s into that directory. (i.e whenever a lookup() call is initiated on
that directory) I would suggest you to try it out and see how it behaves
and verify that it behaves as any user would expect it to behave.

Krishna