Re: [Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...

From: Gareth Bult
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:23:22 +0100 (BST)

Sorry, I'm trying to follow this but I'm coming a little unstuck ..

Am I right in thinking the rolling hash / rsync solution would involve syncing
the file "on open" as per the current system .. and in order to do this, the
server would have to read through the entire file in order to create the hashes?
(indeed it would need to do this on two servers to create hashes for
comparison?)

So .. as a rough benchmark .. assume 50Mb/sec for a standard / modern SATA
drive, opening a crashed 20G file is going to take 400 seconds or six minutes
... ? (which would also flatten two servers for the duration)

Whereas a journal replay of 10M is going to take < 1s and be effectively
transparent.
(I'm guessing this could also be done at open time ??)

I know I'm missing something here .. could anyone clarify or detail the rolling
hash solution for me?

tia

Gareth.