Re: [Gluster-devel] Suggested changes to install and run section of wiki

From: Brandon Lamb
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Suggested changes to install and run section of wiki
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:24:35 -0700

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Amar S. Tumballi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Brandon Lamb <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Install_and_run_GlusterFS_v1.3_in_10mins
> >
> > I was reading through this, and I know this is totally an opinion
> > thing, so I am only offering this as my opinion.
> >
> > I believe it would be nicer and cleaner for this page to either not
> > include a spec file example, and focus on downloading and installing
> > glusters, or maybe include a very basic server and client spec file at
> > the very end as a "you are now working". This would keep it down to a
> > heres how to download and install, and then link to the spec file
> > examples for, well examples.
> >
> Sure, I will be removing the cluster example from there, and will give a
> pointer to examples page.
>

> > Also, a question and suggestion both, but can this page also provide
> > instructions both for downloading from the ftp site AND svn? Which is
> > the preferred or suggested way of getting glusterfs? Is it better to
> > use the latest from svn or the version that is on the ftp site? Are
> > these the same?
> though arch may have some bug fixes, from now on, ftp should be good enough
> for trying out glusterfs, and for the basic setups. we will be making
> releases with bug fixes with smaller gaps. hence link to ftp is good enough
> IMHO.
>

> > I would offer to help out with examples if i was more comfortable and
> > actually knew what i was doing. as it stands i created a wiki account
> > but i am too dumb at this piont to figure out how to start a new page
> > or whatever (never actually used a wiki for other than reading it).
> >

> Search for a page header, if that page doesn't exists, there will be a link
> to create page. Anyways, to start with you can start editing at least :)
>

> > ok thank you!
> >

> --
> Amar Tumballi
> Gluster/GlusterFS Hacker
> [bulde on #gluster/irc.gnu.org]
> http://www.zresearch.com - Commoditizing Super Storage!

http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Getting_Started_with_GlusterFS_v1.3

I think this page is sort of the same. I was going through and editing
sections, but it seems like getting started with glusterfs is not
really a good title for it.

Would you agree that it would make sense to take the spec file
examples out, and instead the flow would make more sense like this

1) Introduction

2) GlusterFS Installation

3) GlusterFS Volume Specification
preface section with text to the point of "you need a spec file for
both server and client to configure your glusterfs setup, blah blah"

4) GlusterFS Scenarios (scenario is probably the wrong word)
Change the whole section to something more like:

GlusterFS is highly configurable, below are examples scenarios/setups
that you could possibly use

a) single server to multiple clients NFS <link to example>
b) multiple servers to multiple clients with unify <link to example>
c) 2 server afr (server side afr) to multiple clients <link to example>
d) 2 server afr (client side afr) to multiple clients <link to example>
e) 3+ server afr etc etc

5) Going live

This would kind of get rid of some redundancy of spec file examples
and maybe get them all in one section. To me this is more logical.

Comments?