RE: [Gluster-devel] Re: Uh, another gotcha with AFR, pre-existing data s

From: Christopher Hawkins
Subject: RE: [Gluster-devel] Re: Uh, another gotcha with AFR, pre-existing data specific
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 08:40:51 -0400

I have a need for something quite similar to that. Seems reasonable to me...

My guess is that what you want to do is:

Set xattr version = 2 for all gluster files on server 1. Start gluster with
AFR. Do a find on all files on server 1, which should copy them to server 2,
whether they already exist there or not (but really server2 should pretty
much be empty).

Now all files should be in sync. I will be doing some testing on this soon
and intend to write a script to handle it... The Md5 check is a good idea
and I'll try to find a way to build that in. Let me know how this goes for
you... Your feedback will be very helpful!

PS - You say "it did no good" but I disagree. In your setup below, even
though it copied the data all over again to server 2, it did so while server
1 was online because you manually set the xattrs on the existing data on
server 1. You had much less downtime than if you had re-copied all the data
from server 1 TO server 1, from non-gluster storage into gluster storage.

Chris

ngnu.org] On Behalf Of Brandon Lamb