Re: [Gluster-devel] trusted.glusterfs.version xattr

From: Martin Fick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] trusted.glusterfs.version xattr
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:23:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Krishna Srinivas <address@hidden> wrote:

> Correct, if machines running afrs are not time sync,
> it can cause problems.
> We were thinking of using parent's directories
> version as the file's createtime attribute. We
> increment the parent dir version first then
> create the file and apply parent's version as the
> file's createtime.
> Any thought on this?

 /dir1/dir2/file

  file and dir2 are deleted
  dir2 is re-added
  file is re-added and dir2 version is now the
       same as it was before it was deleted.

Same problem as before but one level higher.  You
would need to version all the way to the root, "/",
for this to work, wouldn't you?

Directory moves could create a similar problem:

  /dir1/dir2/file
  /dir1/dir3/file

  /file and dir2 deleted.
  dir3 moved to dir2 and happened to match file
    and dir2 version #s.

but I think that versioning to the root would again
solve this?

-Martin

Be a better friend, newshound, and