Re: [Gluster-devel] Client side afr, locking, race condition, simultanou

From: Martin Fick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Client side afr, locking, race condition, simultanous writes, out of sync
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 12:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2008, Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:
> > You are always expected to hold locks and issue
> > writes in a multi user mode.

In the real world people will use scripts without
locks and will risk corruption.  This corruption
should only affect the application.  Here we are
talking about backup utilities and other
applications that will potentially be affected.
Imagine a file that is inconsistent and untouched
for years after that, it could return alternating
results every night on a backup making backups
excessive.  It could trigger an rsynced volume to
constantly resync.  These are not issues that a
filesytem should introduce.

> ... but what happens when both sides are
> appending to the file? Logs being an obvious
> example - they are not always locked.

For the record, I tested this yesterday and
if you modify the stress script to append to
each file; you will see similar inconsistent
split brain activity.

-Martin

Be a better friend, newshound, and