Re: [Gluster-devel] Extended Attributes

From: Amar S. Tumballi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Extended Attributes
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:38:15 -0700

Replies Inline.

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Jordan Mendler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can someone please give me a run down of when extended attriubutes are
> needed in the underlying filesystem accessed by gluster?
>
> 1) Is it at all needed for unify without AFR and/or stripe?

No, its not needed in unify.

> 2) For AFR and stripe, are they needed for both the namespace and the
> storage filesystems, or only for one of the two?

Its needed by the subvolumes of stripe and AFR, whether subvolumes are
namespace, or storage backend, it doesn't matter.

> 3) In what other scenarios are extended attributes needed?

Currently its used only by those two translators inside GlusterFS.  Linux
systems use it for supporting Posix ACLs. if you don't need it, you can go
ahead.

> I am trying to see if there is a way to use gluster with FreeBSD/ZFS given
> that extended attributes are not yet supported. Depending on where the
> xattr
> are actually needed I was thinking to perhaps split off components, since
> only care about ZFS for data storage volume.

Also I figured out that you need some package 'linux-compat' for
compatibility of linux packages (This package has all the missing header
files). I compiled on a system with this package, hence didn't get any
problems with compilation. I noticed with bare minimum installation, this
package is not installed.

--
Amar Tumballi
Gluster/GlusterFS Hacker