[Gluster-devel] Single-process (server and client) AFR problems

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Single-process (server and client) AFR problems
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 21:26:51 +0100

Hi,

I'm having rather major problems getting single-process AFR to work between two servers. When both servers come up, the GlusterFS on both locks up pretty solid. The processes that try to access the FS (including ls) seem to get nowhere for a few minutes, and then complete. But something gets stuck, and glusterfs cannot be killed even with -9!

Another worrying thing is that fuse kernel module ends up having a reference count even after glusterfs process gets killed (sometimes killing the remote process that isn't locked up on it's host can break the locked-up operations and allow for the local glusterfs process to be killed). So fuse then cannot be unloaded.

This error seems to come up in the logs all the time:
2008-05-19 20:57:17 E [afr.c:1985:afr_selfheal] home: none of the children are up for locking, returning EIO 2008-05-19 20:57:17 E [fuse-bridge.c:692:fuse_fd_cbk] glusterfs-fuse: 63: (12) /test => -1 (5)

This implies come kind of a locking issue, but the same error and conditions also arise when posix locking module is removed.

The configs for the two servers are attached. They are almost identical to the examples on the glusterfs wiki:

http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/AFR_single_process

What am I doing wrong? Have I run into another bug?

Gordan
volume home1-store
        type storage/posix
        option directory /gluster/home