Re: [Gluster-devel] option read-subvolume

From: gordan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] option read-subvolume
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:49:23 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Josh Bowers wrote:

I am trying to setup AFR across two nodes with the clients on the same boxes as the servers. Currently, I am using "AFR single process" to do this and everything seems to work.

Fascinating. I was trying the exact same setup and couldn't get it to work due to a bug that isn't yet fixed as of v1.3.9. Mind you I was doing AFR "server side" inside the single process, so that could be why it's working for you.

I guess I really ought to try that.

However, I think I'm missing something because the performance seems to be poor.

I was under the impression that "option read-subvolume" option would read from the local filesystem if the "type storage/posix" was specified for the subvolume. It seems to have no affect whether or not this option is used.

Are you using big files for read testing or small ones? On each open, you will suffer the latency of checking the metadata on both servers (ping time plus overheads), but once that checks out, the file will be read off the read-subvolume specified.

Of course, you will still have the overhead of running fuse. To check if the problem is network related, disconnect the 2nd server, so the source has no choice but to be local and see of the performance on large file reads improves. If it doesn't, then it was working correctly to begin with.

Gordan