Re: [Gluster-devel] New Development Update - [1.4.X releases]

From: Daniel van Ham Colchete
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] New Development Update - [1.4.X releases]
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:00:38 -0300

Hi Amar!

That's great to hear. I'm getting back at using GlusterFS again. Yesterday
my web servers started using it again and we'll migrate our e-mail storage
to it within 6 weeks.

I'll start using the 1.4qa version this week with a new project here. The
new BDB storage is the answer to my prayers. I'm developing a spam
reputation system here, it will have to handle a few millions of requests
per day (~20 million/day), and every request reads and writes a few files (a
few per domain name plus a few per IP address). This new BDB storage fits
perfectly for me. So, I'm very excited with this new version.

Questions:
1 - Will 1.4's unify still need the namespace cache?

2 - If so, can I use the BDB storage for the namespace cache?

3 - Thinking about the database problem I described above, I'll have to open
many many files per second. If unify will have to lookup() every server
every time it will not scale too much if I add more servers as I will be
limited by the lookup() capacity of my worst brick, right? So, talking
performance wise, have you thought about the hash scheduler I proposed [1]
some time ago that know where a file should be and only asks at right server
first? If the file is not found, ask the others.