Re: [Gluster-devel] LVM

From: Onyx
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] LVM
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:43:24 +0200

Hmm, yes, what was I thinking....

But if I want to use LVM snapshots underneath glusterfs volumes (on different bricks) who are then unified or afr'd, won't there be a problem because the snapshots aren't taken at exactly the same time? Or what would be the expected behavior if I for example roll back one volume in an afr setup and not the other?

Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31

Hi Onyx,
GlusterFS volumes are file based. LVM requires block based
store. You cannot have LVM over GlusterFS. I am assuming
you are asking about GlusterFS over LVM. You can use LVM and
its snapshotting ability underneath the GlusterFS posix volume.
It will work transparently.

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31
Blog [http://ab.freeshell.org]
The GNU Operating System [http://www.gnu.org]
Z RESEARCH Inc [http://www.zresearch.com]

Onyx wrote:
Has anyone ever tested LVM on top of a glusterfs volume? Would this even be possible?
I'm interested because of the snapshot feature of LVM.

Thanks!