Re: [Gluster-devel] LVM

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] LVM
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:40:49 +0100

Assuming the underlying FS itself is consistent (which is by no means guaranteed in snapshotting!), the out of data volume would eventually get up to date through use.

Gordan

Onyx wrote:
Hmm, yes, what was I thinking....

But if I want to use LVM snapshots underneath glusterfs volumes (on different bricks) who are then unified or afr'd, won't there be a problem because the snapshots aren't taken at exactly the same time? Or what would be the expected behavior if I for example roll back one volume in an afr setup and not the other?

Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31

Hi Onyx,
GlusterFS volumes are file based. LVM requires block based
store. You cannot have LVM over GlusterFS. I am assuming
you are asking about GlusterFS over LVM. You can use LVM and
its snapshotting ability underneath the GlusterFS posix volume.
It will work transparently.

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31
Blog [http://ab.freeshell.org]
The GNU Operating System [http://www.gnu.org]
Z RESEARCH Inc [http://www.zresearch.com]

Onyx wrote:
Has anyone ever tested LVM on top of a glusterfs volume? Would this even be possible?
I'm interested because of the snapshot feature of LVM.

Thanks!