Re: [Gluster-devel] LVM

From: Onyx
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] LVM
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:07:58 +0200

Krishna Srinivas wrote:
Onyx,

Just thinking about it, using snapshots as glusterfs storage volumes
is not advisable unless you know what you are doing. If you roll back
a volume, it will depend on how selfheal of unify/afr handle it. AFR
would just update the rolled back volume with the other copy.
Yes, that was what I was thinking. Newer will overwrite the older, witch is the rolled-back one in this case.

Better use of LVM + glusterfs would be to grow the backend FS
as an when needed.
Yes I have been thinking of that too.
I was just 'brainstorming' on a solution to have snapshot features in glusterfs.

I think use case of snapshots just in backend LVM in a glusterfs
environment will not be much. However snapshots in a glusterfs
as a whole filesystem will be useful.
It surely would.
Now, what if I would setup a glusterfs volume with lvm on all it's subvolumes. It shouldn't be to hard to write something that, if I want to make a snapshot of the whole glusterfs filesystem, it sends my "take snapshot"-command to the all the lvm subvolumes and executes the actual lvm snapshot command over there. Or am I missing something here?

Krishna