Re: [Gluster-devel] Updated 1.3.9 Debian Packaging available

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Updated 1.3.9 Debian Packaging available
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 22:50:24 -0700

Good work Neil. There are no official Debian or Ubuntu maintainers yet.
We are waiting for some one to step.

Happy Hacking,
--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31

Neil Wilson wrote:
As part of our test deployment of GlusterFS onto Ubuntu servers I've
done some work on the Debian packaging of GlusterFS and I'd like to
feed that back to you.

I've taken the 1.3.9 GlusterFS packages from Li Daobing's Package
Archive on Launchpad: https://edge.launchpad.net/~lidaobing/+archive
and made the following changes.

I found that the combined package wasn't at all useful when deploying
glusterfs to several machines. So I've split out client and server
into glusterfs-client and glusterfs-server. The client does not need
any init scripts or config files since it will get that from the
server. The server is essentially the client with a default config in
place that shares '/srv/share' locally. It also contains an up to date
LSB init script that starts glusterfs on boot correctly.

Other than that I've made some minor changes to the packaging so that
it picks up the right manual pages, creates separate relevant README
files and generally operates in Debian Policy compliant manner.

The backported packages are available for Ubuntu Hardy at
https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ruby-backports/+archive

The git repository for the packaging is here:
http://github.com/NeilW/deb-glusterfs/tree

I've uploaded the package to Ubuntu REVU here:
http://revu.tauware.de/details.py?upid=2745. You can see the debdiff
with Li's package here:
http://revu.tauware.de/diff.py?upid1=2744&upid2=2745

I would hope that this packaging is now ready for inclusion within
Debian if anybody is taking that forward.