Re: [Gluster-devel] exporting a filesystem using tcp and ib-sdp

From: John Marshall
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] exporting a filesystem using tcp and ib-sdp
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:45:44 +0000

Hi,

I've been thinking about the method outlined below. From what I
can tell, it requires listening on separate ports, which seems to
introduce a complexity I would prefer, as an admin, to be dealt with
by glusterfs rather than by host configuration (i.e., each client/host
would have to "know" which port to call). I intend that the client
spec file is _always_ pulled from the server--it is never a local copy,
and that the "best" transport is used by the client.

Ideally, it would be great to have a single port to call, and let
glusterfs negotiate the transport, in order of preference. This
would permit:
1) a trivial mount operation from any machine, regardless of
locally supported transport,
2) a possible fallback mechanism should the chosen transport
fail.

Although not perfect, _something_ along these lines is possible
with the rapidscale product.

Comments?

John

Amar S. Tumballi wrote:
Hi John, yes, it can be done.

your definition of server spec file should be something like..

---------
volume posix
..
end-volume

volume posix-locks
end-volume

volume server-ib
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type ib-sdp/server
  option listen-port 7011
  option auth.ip.posix-locks.allow *
  subvolumes posix-locks
end-volume

volume server-tcp
 type protocol/server
 option transport-type tcp/server
 option listen-port 7021 # notice the different port number
 option auth.ip.posix-locks.allow *
 subvolumes posix-locks
end-volume
-----------

With the above spec file on server side, you need to have client spec file, something like

----
volume client
  type protocol/client
  option remote-host whichever.server.exports
  option remote-port 7011
  option transport-type ib-sdp/client
  option remote-subvolume posix-locks
end-volume
-------
or
----
volume client
  type protocol/client
  option remote-host whichever.server.exports
  option remote-port 7021
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-subvolume posix-locks
end-volume
-------

(Make sure you use 1.3.10 version for this). [1]
Regards,
Amar

[1] - A mail will be sent about the release notes and further updates of 1.4.x developments by AB soon to the list.