[Gluster-devel] Speed problems and Gluster commercial support

From: skimber
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Speed problems and Gluster commercial support
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 02:51:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Everyone,

We have recently set up gluster on 2 x server and 2 x client machines using
AFR and Unify.

It seems to work correctly but the performance is horribly slow and
certainly no use for our production environment.

ls -l commands take far too long to complete, with directories containing
100 or so files taking at least 5 minutes to complete.

An Rsync from a remote server of mainly small files under 30k runs at about
1 file every three seconds compared to about 10 files every second when I
rsync to the client's local disk instead.

We are using glusterfs-1.3.9 and fuse-2.7.3glfs10 on Debian Etch and the
client and server configs are included at the bottom of this message.  Other
than lots of lines like the following (which somebody else has previously
mentioned shouldn't be anything to worry about) I can't see anything
relevant in any of the logs:

2008-07-15 14:19:41 E [posix.c:1984:posix_setdents] brick-ns: Error creating
file /data/export-ns/mydata/myfile.txt with mode (0100644)

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

On another note, I have sent a couple of requests for information about Z
Research's commercial support services for Gluster, but have had no
response.  I have also tried phoning them several times but only ever get
their voicemail.  Can anybody on here vouch for their support services as my
experience so far hasn't inspired confidence?

Many thanks

Simon

Configs:

The server config looks like this:

volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /data/export
end-volume

volume plocks
  type features/posix-locks
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume brick
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 4
  subvolumes plocks
end-volume

volume brick-ns
  type storage/posix
  option directory /data/export-ns
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp/server
  option auth.ip.brick.allow *
  option auth.ip.brick-ns.allow *
  subvolumes brick brick-ns
end-volume

And the client config looks like this:

volume brick1
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
 option remote-host data01      # IP address of the remote brick
 option remote-subvolume brick        # name of the remote volume
end-volume

volume brick2
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host data02
 option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume brick-ns1
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host data01
 option remote-subvolume brick-ns  # Note the different remote volume name.
end-volume

volume brick-ns2
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host data02
 option remote-subvolume brick-ns  # Note the different remote volume name.
end-volume

volume afr1
 type cluster/afr
 subvolumes brick1 brick2
end-volume

volume afr-ns
 type cluster/afr
 subvolumes brick-ns1 brick-ns2
end-volume

volume unify
 type cluster/unify
 option namespace afr-ns
 option scheduler rr
 subvolumes afr1
end-volume

volume readahead
  type performance/read-ahead
  option page-size 128kB        # 256KB is the default option
  option page-count 4           # 2 is default option
  option force-atime-update off # default is off
  subvolumes unify
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option aggregate-size 1MB # default is 0bytes
  option flush-behind on    # default is 'off'
  subvolumes readahead
end-volume

volume io-cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 64MB             # default is 32MB
  option page-size 1MB               # 128KB is default option
  option priority *:0                # default is '*:0'
  option force-revalidate-timeout 2  # default is 1
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume