Re: [Gluster-devel] Setup recommendations - 2 (io-threads)

From: Martin Fick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Setup recommendations - 2 (io-threads)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 8/18/08, Raghavendra G <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Martin Fick
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > --- On Thu, 5/15/08, Amar S. Tumballi
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > ''io-threads'' translator creates seperate
> > > threads (as specified by the option). But, it
> > > doesn't make sense to have more threads than
> > > number of CPUs available. It works good if the
> > > thread count is same as number of CPUs you
> > > have in server.
> >
> > Wouldn't adding multiple threads on a single CPU
> > server still allow a server thread to potentially
> > serve files to other clients while it is blocked
> > serving one client?
>

> Couple of points to be noted are,
>
> * Apart from the io-threads, there is a separate fuse
> thread which reads/writes to /dev/fuse.
> * Since glusterfs operates in asynchronous framework,
> potentially there are very less scenarios, where a thread
> can block.
>
> Hence the purpose of io-threads is only for simultaneous
> executions. And the number of simultaneous execution paths
> is determined by the number of processors present.
>
> Can anyone confirm this? Threaded I/O Translator

Hmm, the wiki says this about io threads:

   AIO adds asynchronous (background) read and write
   functionality. By loading this translator, you can
   utilize the server idle blocked time to handle new
   incoming requests. CPU, memory or network is not
   utilized when the server is blocked on read or write
   calls while DMA'ing disk. This translator makes best
   use of all the resources under load and improves
   concurrent I/O performance.

So it sounds like that without io threads the io is
blocking?  Does this mean that even with one CPU it
is worth using 1 iothread because it splits the io
out of the main thread allowing the main thread to
still service incoming requests?  Does it look like
this?

      SERVER
      Thread
       / | \