Re: [Gluster-devel] Recommended hardware for a unify cluster?

From: Jake Maul
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Recommended hardware for a unify cluster?
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:05:13 -0700

What he said :).

The obvious advantage here is if you do go with unify and the
performance isn't good enough, you can:
1) add more servers
2) switch to SAS drives in the existing servers

They only hold 4 drives though... you'd be looking at 8 spindles
total. If that bothers you, you could do the same thing with the
PE2950 2U's... they hold 6 3.5" drives or 8 2.5" drives (which is
fairly common for fast SAS gear). Honestly though, I think you might
be pleasantly surprised by the performance of modern SAS equipment...
2 1950's like Ananth said might be just the ticket. I quick
run-through on Dell's site puts me at right around $3,000/each for a
4-drive SAS RAID10 with the bells and whistles I like.

Of course, without AFR adding servers doesn't help your redundancy or
availability... you'll still have missing data when a node goes down.

Jake