Re: [Gluster-devel] Cache Translator Questions

From: Martin Fick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Cache Translator Questions
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:17:22 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 12/30/08, Basavanagowda Kanur <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Martin Fick
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > 1B) If memory only, are there any plans for a file
> based cache?
>
> Yes, we have plans for file based cache in our future
> release.

It sounds like this would simply require adding local disk cache read/writting
to the translator without requiring any changes to the way coherency is
maintained?  Seems like it might be well worth it.  If it is as simple as I am
thinking, with disk caching, clients could maintain huge local caches and
likely dramatically improve performance.

These days clients may even have enough storage to cache an entire filesystem
making the cluster servers simply authoritative repositories.  If this were the
case, perhaps networks could be optimized for latency instead of throughput
without suffering much of a FS throughput performance penalty since most large
reads would come from the local cache.  Just some random thoughts...

Thanks for your replies,

-Martin