[Gluster-devel] Re: [List-hacking] [bug #25207] an rm of a file should n

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Re: [List-hacking] [bug #25207] an rm of a file should not cause that file to be replicated with afr self-heal.
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 02:30:29 -0800

Christopher, main issue with self-heal is its complexity. Handling self-healing
logic in a non-blocking asynchronous code path is difficult. Replicating a
missing
sounds simple, but holding off a lookup call and initiating a new series of
calls
to heal the file and then resuming back normal operation is tricky. Much of the
bugs we faced in 1.3 is related to self-heal. We have handled most of these
cases
over a period of time. Self-healing is decent now, but not good enough. We feel
that
it has only complicated the code base. It is hard to test and maintain this
part of
the code base.

Plan is to drop self-heal code all together once the active healing tool gets
ready.
Unlike self-healing, this active healing can be run by the user on a mounted
file system
(online) any time. By moving the code out of the file system, into a tool (that
is
synchronous and linear), we can implement sophisticated healing techniques.

Code is not in the repository yet. Hopefully in a month, it will be ready for
use.
You can simply turn off self-heal and run this utility while the file system is
mounted.

List-hacking is an internal list, mostly junk :). It is an internal company
list.
We don't discuss technical / architectural stuff there. They are mostly done
over
phone and in-person meetings. We do want to actively involve the community right
from the design phase. Mailing list is cumbersome and slow to interactively
brainstorm design discussions. We can once in a while organize IRC sessions
for this purpose.

--
Anand Babu

Swank iest wrote:
Well,

I guess this is getting outside of the bug. I suppose you are going to mark it as not going to fix?

I'm trying to put gluster into production right now, so may I ask:

1) What are the current issues with self-heal that require a full re-write? Is there a place in the Wiki or elsewhere where it's being documented? 2) May I see the new code? I must not be looking in the correct place in TLA? 3) If it's not written yet, may I be included in the design discussion? (As I haven't put gluster into production yet, now would be a good time to know if it's not going to work in the near future.)

 Christopher.

Visit messengerbuddies.ca to find out how you could win. Enter today. <http://www.messengerbuddies.ca/?ocid=BUDDYOMATICENCA20>