[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS-1.4 to become GlusterFS-2.0

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS-1.4 to become GlusterFS-2.0
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 03:59:55 -0800

Dear Community,
Since the 1.3 release, we have come a long way to reach this level of code
maturity.
We are preparing to call the next release as the 2.0.0 instead of 1.4.0. There
are
real technical reasons to do so. We want to sincerely apologize for this
confusion.

REASONS FOR THE VERSION CHANGE:
* Significant architectural enhancements and code-rewrites since v1.3.X.
  - AFR rewrite, non-blocking IO, binary protocol and single address mode
* Current code base will remain as the foundation for upcoming major releases,
  featuring hot-management, active-heal, defrag, snapshot, NDMP and cloning.
* New features:
  - Distribute: elastic hash based clustering
  - Apache / Lighttpd embeddable
  - Distributed BerkeleyDB
  - Atomic writes in AFR
  - High-Availability translator
  - NUFA translator
* Improved performance and scalability, particularly for small files.
* Changes towards simplification
  - "distribute" supersedes complicated "unify"
  - "AFR" renamed as "replicate"
  - Simpler documentation using "distribute", "replicate" and "stripe"
  - Standardized volume templates for most common use cases

2.0.0rc1 will be available in a week. Before we call it 2.0.0, we want to
to achieve the following:
* Seamless migration for 1.3 users
* Clean and complete documentation
* Binary packages for GNU/Linux (rpm/deb), FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Solaris
(server)
* And most importantly the community blessing for 2.0 stable release.

Happy Hacking!
--
GlusterFS Team