Re: [Gluster-devel] Architecture advice

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Architecture advice
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:32:15 +0000

Daniel Maher wrote:
Basavanagowda Kanur wrote:

    I am curious to know how the client decides which of the subvols to
    use at any given time, and if there is a way to specify a
    "preferred" subvol.  For example, i have two servers AFR'ing each
    other.  I have two clients set up to access the AFR cluster via HA.
     For reasons of resource distribution, i would like Client01 to
    prefer to use Server01, and Client02 to prefer to use Server02.

currently HA does not provide facility for specifying this option.

How does the HA translator choose a node, exactly ? Does it randomly select one from the list of available subvolumes, or does it pick them in the order they're specified in the config file, or some other way entirely ?

Not sure what the default is, but you can specify a preferred read server (writes have to go to all servers regardless) with
"option read-subvolume" in the volume spec.

Gordan